Once upon a time, maps were practical. Ten years back, you probably used them on a road trip to figure out your best route. Hundreds of years ago, cartographers explored the world to make maps for our knowledge and future convenience. Today, though, we have Google and GPS systems, rendering paper maps effectively useless. If you have a few paper maps sitting around, don”t let their vintage elegance go to waste. Turn them into gorgeous art and home decor with the 17 inspirational ideas below. Happy crafting!
1. Use pull-down maps as curtains.
2. Turn a map of the United States into a fun magnet puzzle.
3. Decoupage the top of a table.
4. Create decorative decoupage cardboard initials.
5. Decoupage cute buckets with maps.
6. Turn rolled-up maps into a unique wreath.
7. Paint or attach sticker letters to a canvas decoupaged with a map.
8. Instead of putting blinds over french doors, attach old maps to the panes for privacy.
9. Use binder clips and an embroidery hoop to make a cool chandelier.
10. Make a one-of-a-kind ring out of a map.
11. Turn a map into a photo collage that documents the places you”ve visited.
12. Line the insides of your dresser drawers with maps.
13. Turn a map of your favorite place into a necklace.
14. Decoupage a headboard with maps.
15. Cut them into triangles and make a cute garland.
16. Embroider a map with the path you traveled on a trip and frame it.
17. Cover a candle with a map and seal it with Mod Podge.
Know what I”ve learned? When in doubt, decoupage.
That map chandelier looks so cool, and it seems easy to make. I”m going to try that first! Which of these ideas spoke to your crafty side?