Okay people, what do we know about onions? They make your breath stink, you cry when you cut them, and they”re used as a heavy-handed metaphor in Shrek. While that doesn”t make them sound too pleasant, there”s a ton of potential locked inside all those layers. One guy even found a way to make three pounds of them into something delicious.
Sound daunting? It shouldn”t! We”ll make this nice and easy for you.
Here”s what you”ll need to make amazing French onion soup:
1. Slice your bread, throw it on a cookie sheet, and brown it in the oven.
2. Roughly chop your onions and slice each clove of garlic in half.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet.
4. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic. Let this brown for a minute or two before throwing all of the onions in on top. Caramelize everything for about 45 minutes.
5. Once the onions have reduced down, add in your white wine. Stir until the wine thickens into a glaze.
6. Now add the chicken broth.
7. Stir in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
8. Top it off with beef broth. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
10. Ladle the soup into high-walled dishes and add the toasted bread on top.
11. Cover it up with grated Swiss.
12. Sprinkle Parmesan on top of all that goodness to fill in any gaps.
13. Bake or broil to melt the cheeses until they”re golden brown.
14. Dig in!
For a step-by-step guide, check out Jack”s full video below:
I don”t know about you, but watching that made me hungry. Who knew three pounds of onions could turn into something so delicious? I think I know what I”m having for dinner.